Jagat Mangaraj had his schooling at BuxHe Jagabandhu Bidydhar School Khordha in Odisha. He completed a B.Sc. in Chemistry Hons. from the erstwhile Prananath College Khordha in Odisha. He graduated from the State Institute of Hotel Management in Bhubaneswar (1982–1985). He pursued a PhD. in management from JiwajHe University Gwalior and completed it in 2009. During his working period at IHM Gwalior and IHM Ahmedabad, he studied a few short-term management courses at IIM Bangalore, MDHe Gurgaon, and Lausanne, Switzerland.
- He worked in the Hospitality industry for a brief period of 2 years.
- Started his academic teaching career in hospitality education at Gwalior with the erstwhile Food Craft Institute in July 1987. The Food Craft Institute was upgraded to the Institute of Hotel Management in 1992. He continued his academic teaching career at the Institute of Hotel Management Gwalior (under the Ministry of Tourism, GOI) until February 2011.
- From May 2002 to February 2011, he was the in-charge Principal of IHM Gwalior. In Gwalior he worked for 23 years and 6 months.
- In 2011 February he joined as the regular Principal of Institute of Hotel Management at Ahmedabad (under Ministry of Tourism GOI) and he worked at IHM Ahmedabad till his superannuation on 31st March 2023.
- He worked as the technical expert for the HRACC committee of the Ministry of Tourism for awarding star ratings to hotels from May 2002 until February 2011 in Madhya Pradesh.
- He worked as a technical expert member of the HRACC committee of the Ministry of Tourism for awarding star ratings to hotels from February 2011 until March 2023 in Gujarat.
- He worked as the principal auditor for the hospitality operation of the Rann Utsav from 2012 to 2014.
- Prepared the online tender document for the Shramik Annapurna scheme of the Govt. of Gujarat amounting to Rs 60 crore.
- He worked as an AICTE task force member on developing a model curriculum for hospitality and tourism.
- Present Member of the National Board of Accreditation Committee for Hospitality.
- AICTE Member of the Committee for Implementation of National Education Policy (Hospitality)—2020 (NEP) at present.
- Editor of the ISSN Journal, Indian Journal for Hospitality Management since 2019, published by IHM Ahmedabad.
- Founder of Mangaraj Hospitality Consulting in April 2023.
- He is currently working as the National Operator for Green Key India.